St Joseph’s Church, Mátyásföld
A church symbolising the birth of a community
As more and more people chose to make the holiday resort their home around the turn of the century, it gradually became clear that the community needed not only beautiful houses, but also a spiritual centre of its own. At the time, Mátyásföld belonged administratively to Cinkota and ecclesiastically to the parish of Csömör. Local residents had to attend churches in other settlements even as their own community was growing stronger.
The construction of the church was therefore an important milestone not only in religious terms, but also in the development of the community’s identity. It signalled that Mátyásföld was no longer merely a summer resort, but a settlement with a distinct character of its own.
St Joseph’s Church is therefore far more than a Neo-Gothic church: its construction commemorates the moment when the summer resort began to evolve into a genuine community.
Read more
When an entire community joined forces
In 1903, the Church Building Committee was established under the leadership of József Paulheim. Its objective was simple, but the task itself was far more ambitious: to build a church for the growing community.
Many people contributed to the success of the undertaking. The plot was donated by Mrs Gábor Beniczky, née Countess Ilona Batthyány, while the cost of construction was covered through donations, proceeds from local events and the combined efforts of residents. Contemporary accounts suggest that the entire community regarded the project as its own.
The Neo-Gothic plans were drawn up by Ferenc Weninger, and construction began in 1904. Work progressed remarkably quickly, and the completed church was blessed just one year later, in August 1905. This speed demonstrated more than effective organisation. It also proved that the still-young Mátyásföld community was capable of joining forces in pursuit of a shared goal.
The establishment of an independent parish, however, took several more decades. Local parishioners worked for many years to make Mátyásföld an ecclesiastical centre in its own right, a goal that was finally achieved in 1936.
A Neo-Gothic church designed to complement the villa district
The architecture of St Joseph’s Church combines the world of medieval churches with the garden-suburb atmosphere of the turn of the century. Its cruciform floor plan, slender proportions and 40-metre-high tower make it easily recognisable from afar. The octagonal spire and soaring forms are characteristic features of Neo-Gothic architecture, which once again became popular in Hungary around the turn of the century.
The church was designed so that its scale and proportions would complement the surrounding villas. Although its tall tower serves as a landmark visible from a considerable distance, it blends harmoniously into the garden-suburb streetscape. It is no coincidence that the villas of Pilóta Street and the church together form the historic axis of Mátyásföld.
Generations of art within a single interior
Inside, the patterned terrazzo floor, stained-glass windows, richly painted surfaces and sculptural decorations create an atmosphere that is both solemn and welcoming. The interior, however, was not completed all at once. Over the decades, it was enriched by the work of successive artists.
The stained-glass windows destroyed during the war were replaced in several phases, while the murals were also created at different times. As a result, the church interior preserves layers of artistic work spanning an entire century.
One of its most outstanding artworks is the statue of St Elizabeth created by Károly Senyei. The organ, the wrought-iron details and the iconography of the high altar also demonstrate that the building is not only a liturgical space, but a place of considerable artistic value.
The wars of the 20th century did not spare the church. During the First World War, two of its bells were requisitioned for military purposes and could only be replaced years later. The Second World War caused further damage.
The church today
St Joseph’s Church is one of the most important symbols of Mátyásföld. Together with the villas of Pilóta Street, it forms a historic ensemble that has preserved the atmosphere of the turn-of-the-century garden suburb with remarkable consistency.
Although the surrounding area has changed continuously over the past hundred years, the church has always remained a meeting place. Its tower still dominates the local skyline, just as it once served as a landmark for visitors arriving at the summer resort.
It is not merely a building, but also a reminder that, by joining forces, a community was able to shape its own future.
Source of images: Funzine, Építészfórum
